Centenary Lounge is in the historic Grade II listed Birmingham Moor Street station.
The station was opened by Great Western Railway (GWR) in 1909 as a terminus for trains from North Warwickshire and Stratford-upon-Avon, with temporary accommodation which was finally replaced with permanent facilities in 1914.
The station was an example of the Edwardian style of architecture used by GWR in the late nineteenth century, but was allowed to fall into decline in the late twentieth century after the route to Snow Hill station was closed in 1967. In 1986 a modern station was built alongside and the original building was left unused.
In the 1990s, the service through to Snow Hill from London Marylebone was reintroduced and Moor Street station began to see more use. Finally in 2002, the Birmingham Alliance and Chiltern Railways renovated it, refurbishing the concourse to reflect the original GWR style.
Centenary Lounge was opened in 2009, the centenary of Moor Street originally being built. Our presence in the station continues a tradition of welcoming refreshment facilities inside GWR stations with an Art Deco design to provide a true GWR 1930s ambiance.
Further information on Moor Street station and its history can be found on wikipedia, the Great Western Archive website and the Tyseley Locomotive Works website. The Birmingham History Forum have also provided us with some history of the Moor Street site before the station was built.